Saturday 12 November 2011

Boris Tellegan

Boris Tellegen :

My first impressions of his artwork are that he is very aware of shapes and form and his use of composite materials create depth and interesting textures. When looking at his installation I notice the gaping holes and this space creates depths, I like his contrast between the pure lines against the destructive tares creating a sense of chaos, the use of square rectangular shapes form an high perspective view of buildings from a city, however the rips show the destruction of the city. His relief creates a sense of progression as he layers on fragmented shapes , the use of line and texture within this bleak grey relief forces you look in to it , the further you look the more it reveals the shapes and lines interlink and overlap showing the subtle hints of structures evoking a scene of a city scape.






Tellegen use of harsh geometric shapes representing a city  segregates each section of his work making seem as though as each individual element is an art piece in itself. Forming a jigsaw that expresses the range of aspects in both reality and within his mind. Through his art work he explores the possibilities of what you see and what you imagine, with his layers depicting the truth and his imagination that combine to show the physical and mental progression of technology and the world around us.

Background :
Boris Tellegen is a Swedish artist
 Date of birth: 5 December 1968
Education: 1988-1994 Industrial Design Engineering, TU Delft, graduated
Quote :
"My work is in collage, sculpture, drawings, videos and installations. It investigates the tension between planning and happenstance; the semblance of order undone by schematic chaos. Mankind is driven by an unshakeable faith in progress, where modern technology and constant growth leads us to a better world. My work explores a different outcome, where the automated forces unleashed develop structures and minds of their own.
This fascination formed in the eighties, when the urban street became my canvas as I started writing graffiti under the alias of 'Delta.' As such I became revered worldwide among my peers for my three dimensional lettering. I grew from experiences to look at and deal with the streets to a more reflective kind of work. I always treated the two dimensional frame of the letter and the word as sculpture, bursting out or morphing into the wall, piercing its boundaries by adding a dimension.
My collages read as isometric industrial landscapes. By layering, cutting and chiselling I search for change in scale and perspective. Pieces of paper get torn, glued and then torn again, and replicate beyond control, forming city scapes resembling fuming wastelands…”
Context:
In his artwork he shares similarities to de-constructivism where he uses their idea of abstraction of forms to create his work expressing the feeling of modernity, similar to futurism. His collages share the same style of his relief as his technique of layering gives it more dimensions, and through this he distorts the shapes changing perspective and size.  Although it seems more delicate fragile compared to the relief through the soft tares and use of colour it develops this idea of balance.

My reflection:

In my final outcome of a window installation I will use his style of abstraction and fragmenting to express different shapes and forms I saw over my summer holiday, also incorporate his use of layering in a form of a relief to show the chaotic side of my experience which it will depict the passage of time and the development of Lanzarote. In addition I will include Tellegen’s concept of using layers to show the fragments of my experience as well as part of my memories which like Tellegen will appear in an abstract form.In addition, I like Tellegen’s use of framing as it provides an outline however I think it would be more effective if it was black as it will be more captivating.      
Tellegen develops his collages as he adds more layers in comparison to Peter Callesen who focuses on the space by extracting and forming detailed paper constructions. Where his use of plain paper makes it easier to fill with different meanings the thin white paper gives the paper sculptures a frailty that underlines the tragic and romantic themes of the work. I think both these styles are effective in portraying my experience of my summer holiday as the technique of layering and removing combined will create a sense of balance and express the things i saw as well aa how I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment