Saturday 21 April 2012

Final Outcome Evaluation


My Final Outcome






Evaluation                                           Candidate name: Dominique James
Final outcome evaluation              Candidate number: 11030
Project: Memories                            Centre number: 5080

In creating my final outcome I had to support the theme of memories. My final concept of the piece was to show how overtime memories are distorted showing that you remember fragments, and each section in my final piece signifies key experiences I had over the summer. This concept developed through my various experiments and artist research.
The client who commissioned me for this outcome was chestnut grove school; the idea was to make a window installation which could break the boundaries of a relief, by interestingly documenting my summer holiday.
The artist from the LIFT project did influence my work as they provided insight of conceptualising art. Although I experimented with various methods of art whilst they was with us I didn’t get to use all of them however it was extremely useful in broadening my outlook of art. The main influence out of these artists was Edward George who played a significant role in my method of documentation. I really like his concept of how everything is an archive which allowed me to collect an extensive range of primary sources which link to all my senses.
In creating my experiment I looked at a range of other artists. Of which my main artist I decided to link my final outcome to be Boris Tellegen a Swedish artist who created reliefs from materials such as paper and cardboard to express the constructive and deconstructive nature of architecture. I implemented his idea into my final outcome to depict the development of Lanzarote where it contains both newly built architecture and areas that seem untouched and deserted nothing but the remains of the rocks from volcanoes. The colours of his art work the various tones of greys and blues signify the surroundings of Sweden. This conveyed more ideas for my outcome where I will use colours to depict the natural elements that inhabit Lanzarote, for example red represents the volcano rock I collected, cream the manmade sandy beaches, and  turquoise to signify tranquil ocean.
My experiments also helped to achieve my aim of producing a relief reflecting my experience over summer. Line tone and colour experiments I created linked to JW Turner and John Craxton. This was useful in representing the formal elements that I was able to see through the duration of my holiday.  By focusing on line, tone and colour it enabled me to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying shapes and forms that existed in my primary sources. This helped me to select specific pieces which worked well and push them further in other experiments and include them in my final mix medium outcome to represent the basis of my experience.
The collage experiments that I made a technique which I later implanted in my final outcome, ties in the concept of de-constructivism and constructivism conveyed by Boris Tellegen where, I reduced my primary sources in to partial remains then reconstructing them to form an abstract interpretation of my experience. This also links to Sandra Meech where she has reduces her journey in to strips where the gaps signify the space in time, and the gaps in memory.
There were many ideas that I had throughout this projected which helped me to develop my final outcome. The ideas that instigated this outcome where initially with the LIFT project, where I discovered this concept where not everything has to be one thing and that straight forward. This along with my range of experimentations and outcomes that are inspired by different artists evoke different meanings which can represent different parts of my experience.
Overall, I think my outcome was a success as I was able to create a balance between conventional arts which include sculptures and paintings and created an unconventional response of a relief which combines the two. I also think it met my aims by interestingly depicting my summer holiday using the techniques I developed through my experimentations. However I would have liked to include sound and text, which I touched on in my primary sources but would have made my installation even more effective if it was pushed further.

No comments:

Post a Comment