Sunday 30 October 2011

Painted Negatives: The Cliché-verre process

Cliché verre is french. Cliché is a printing term , a printable plate cast from movable type; while verre means glass.Cliché Verre was one of the earliest forms of reproducing images before the advent of the camera. As a precursor to photography, Cliché Verre could accurately represent the original scene without the tonal variations available in modern day photography.

The Cliché Verre process is a basic way of producing a negative by hand. It works by drawing on a fine transparent object like acetate or tracing paper, and then you paint your image using acrylic paint or permanent marking however taking in to consideration that what you draw will become negative. After it is then printed in a dark room.
When creating my negatives I drew from my primary sources on to acetate. My primary sources being both the items I collected and my photographs. I experimented with different materials, and acknowledged how my work would transform to negative.

Painted Negatives :








                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment